Monday, July 27, 2009

National Pride



I'm not myopic enough to be nationalistic, but I am moved when I hear The Star Spangled Banner during a ceremony for which I've emotionally involved myself. So when I saw the following at the bottom of a velonews.com article had to reread it to make sure I had had right:

The newspaper also called the accidental playing of the Danish national anthem when Contador stepped up to the podium as an "unforgivable mistake".

This is an awful error to make. This is not the Olympics where the podium gets worked out every 10 minutes, this is a month long singular event with one winner. Imagine competing at the highest level, pouring your life into an event while exposing yourself within arms length of millions of fans in an international sport where nations vie for bragging rights - and you win. Then at the emotional, ceremonious conclusion, with long neglected but loving family present, sponsors, dignitaries, hundreds of fans, and a worldwide audience channeled through the television - they play the wrong song?! Talk about an emotional cluster fuck. Major party foul.

No comments: