Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Dedication: Singular Focus

Here come all the, "If I, I should've, next time, next Spring, next year..." It's natural to start setting goals for 2010, not because it a new year, but because it's the next chance. Want to be harder when the thaw comes? Me too.

I'll never be this fit


The question is what can we all do. 15 months ago Mike Hemme was a Cat 3, now he's looking back on a season where he raced as a PRO. Born with the DNA to be fast, Mike also has the dedication to train hard and fearlessness to ride with guys who would turn me into a feature on the race course. Me, I've got a wicked fast bike and a bit of ego - I don't think that's enough.

So what will it take to get a competitive 4, who is 80% fit, to podium? Coaching and dedication. Will I get a coach? Who knows, but Mike reminded me that a coach will help you make the most of the time you have, not ask you to spend more time. Sounds good, and logical to me.

Harder

If anyone is looking for good motivation check out some of the essays on the Gym Jones site. The theory behind Gym Jones is about singular focus, give up anything that slows you down. If what you're doing isn't furthering your goal, stop it. The stories cover a range of athletic endeavors like alpine sports, Ironman, UFC fighting, and will make great sitting-on-the-couch-while-you-get-fat holiday reading

Back to the ballerina. Ruby, my four year old daughter loves ballet. I of course want to see her interested in cycling and teams sports. But I've realized it almost doesn't matter what sport she picks it's how dedicated and focused she can be at achieving her goals that will matter more than the goal itself. Based on her attention span and dedication to wearing a tutu everyday I'm guessing Ruby is going to be pretty damn fast.

1 comment:

Stefan R. said...

no news around COURAGE anymore?